California Black Oak | Medium Tree Seedling
- Grow your own California Black Oak (Quercus kelloggii), a massive-limbed West Coast native!
- 100% guaranteed: If your seedling perishes, we are happy to provide a replacement small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60)
- Seed-grown without poison or pesticides at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast
- Transplanting and care instructions included
- Trees can provide a natural barrier against high winds, temperatures, noise pollution and soil erosion, all while benefiting local air quality, wildlife and property values — a Jonsteen seedling will only grow in value and beauty!
About California Black Oak
California Black Oak (Quercus kelloggii) is a West Coast native, growing in foothills and lower mountain regions from Central Oregon down to Baja California. It often grows in mixed conifer forests dominated by Ponderosa Pine, and is especially impressive in the Sierra Nevada mountain range, where it occasionally bursts forth in pure stands.
California Black Oak can grow to 80 feet tall with a 60-foot spread, making it a large, imposing tree. It features a thick (2 to 8 feet across), often-forked trunk and massive limbs clad in blackish-grey bark. Black Oak's deeply lobed leaves provide a vibrant display of color in each season. In spring, the oak's new leaves are velveteen, tinged with fuchsia and pale rose. As summer progresses, the 4 to 8-inch leaves move through bright, translucent yellow-green into a lustrous dark green on top, pale green underneath. In Autumn, Black Oak's foliage tends toward tawny yellow, russet, and rich, golden brown.
California Black Oak has been an important human resource for centuries. Native Americans relied on this species for its strong, durable wood and as a staple food source, its acorns considered the best-tasting by native tribes throughout California and Oregon. It grows well in areas with hot summers and cold winters, coping well with dry conditions, and prefers coarse, well-drained soils. California Black Oak makes a great street tree or ornamental, and requires a bright, sunny location.
About Jonsteen’s Seedlings
All of our trees are seed-grown — without poison or pesticides — at our nursery on California’s Redwood Coast, which is inspected monthly and licensed by the California Department of Agriculture.
About Jonsteen’s 100% Guarantee
All of our trees are guaranteed to arrive healthy and in good condition. If your tree perishes, we will replace it with a small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60). We encourage all customers experiencing difficulties growing their trees to contact us through our toll-free "Tree Help Line" (1-888-387-3379).