Fraser Fir | Small Tree Seedling
- Grow your own Fraser Fir (Abies fraseri), a poplar Christmas Tree species that offers lush, deep green foliage, a beautiful pyramidal shape, a wonderful fragrance, and great needle retention
- 100% guaranteed: If your seedling perishes, we are happy to provide a replacement small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60)
- Seed-grown without poison or pesticides at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast
- Transplanting and care instructions included
- Trees can provide a natural barrier against high winds, temperatures, noise pollution and soil erosion, all while benefiting local air quality, wildlife and property values — a Jonsteen seedling will only grow in value and beauty!
About Fraser Fir
Fraser Fir (Abies fraseri) is a close relative of Balsam Fir, and is sometimes called "She-Balsam" or "Southern Balsam Fir." This tree is native to the cold moist climate of higher elevations (above 4,500 feet) in the Apalachian Mountains of southwestern Virginia, western North Carolina, and eastern Tennessee, where it grows in dense stands.
Fraser Fir is a relatively small tree, growing to typical heights of 50–60 feet tall, and rarely seen over 80 feet tall (the largest Abies fraseri on record is 87 feet tall). Fraser Fir can grow in a wide variety of soil types and does very well in cultivation. It is a highly shade tolerant species, but shading reduces its growth rate significantly. In cultivation, full sun is recommended for the Fraser Fir, which responds to the additional sunlight by growing about four times faster than in shade. Under sunny and favorable conditions, Fraser Fir will grow an average of about 1 foot in height per year.
In addition to its benefits as a important component of watershed protection at higher elevations in the Appalachians, Fraser Fir is one of the North America's most popular Christmas Tree species, and is the basis for a multi-million dollar Christmas Tree and wreath business in the Southern Appalachians. The tree offers lush, deep green foliage, a beautiful pyramidal shape, a wonderful fragrance, and great needle retention — all qualities that make Fraser Fir one of America's most appealing natives!
About Jonsteen’s Seedlings
All of our trees are seed-grown — without poison or pesticides — at our nursery on California’s Redwood Coast, which is inspected monthly and licensed by the California Department of Agriculture.
About Jonsteen’s 100% Guarantee
All of our trees are guaranteed to arrive healthy and in good condition. If your tree perishes, we will replace it with a small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60). We encourage all customers experiencing difficulties growing their trees to contact us through our toll-free "Tree Help Line" (1-888-387-3379).