Ghost Pine | Medium Tree Seedling
- Grow your own Ghost Pine (Pinus sabiniana), a true Golden State endemic species!
- 100% guaranteed: If your seedling perishes, we are happy to provide a replacement small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60)
- Seed-grown without poison or pesticides at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast
- Transplanting and care instructions included
- Trees can provide a natural barrier against high winds, temperatures, noise pollution and soil erosion, all while benefiting local air quality, wildlife and property values — a Jonsteen seedling will only grow in value and beauty!
About Ghost Pine
Ghost Pine (Pinus sabiniana), also called Gray Pine, Bull Pine, and Foothill Pine, is a medium-sized tree native to the foothill woodlands and chaparrals of California’s Sierra Nevada and Coast Ranges — a true Golden State endemic. It is often associated with Blue Oak, Valley Oak, and Interior Live Oak, with which it forms a habitat characteristic of the California chaparral and woodlands ecoregion: a sparse over story above a canopy of the oak woodland. A drought-resistant, shade-intolerant species, Ghost Pine prefers well-draining soils and a Mediterranean-like climate — hot, dry, summers and cool, wet winters.
Mature trees, living for up to 200 years, measure from 40 to 80 feet tall and 12 to 36 inches across at the base. The crown is open with sparse foliage, the trunks leaning and crooked. Its tendency to self-prune means branching usually begins high up on the stem. Needles are grayish-green, hanging loosely in bundles of three, and can reach up to 17 inches in length. Cones are mostly symmetrical, egg-shaped, and 6 to 10 inches long with massive flat “claws” on their scales — the largest cones of any conifer in northwestern California. Bark is dark-gray with irregular fissures.
One naturalist noted that from a distance, the silvery needles of the Ghost Pine appear to shimmer, ghost-like, out of California’s hot, dry chaparrals. Similarly, the foliage, which hangs loosely about the tree’s tilted, dark trunk, is often described as wispy and ghostly.
About Jonsteen’s Seedlings
All of our trees are seed-grown — without poison or pesticides — at our nursery on California’s Redwood Coast, which is inspected monthly and licensed by the California Department of Agriculture.
About Jonsteen’s 100% Guarantee
All of our trees are guaranteed to arrive healthy and in good condition. If your tree perishes, we will replace it with a small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60). We encourage all customers experiencing difficulties growing their trees to contact us through our toll-free "Tree Help Line" (1-888-387-3379).