Port Orford Cedar | Small Tree Seedling
- Grow your own Port Orford Cedar (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana), a mid-sized evergreen with gracefully flowing foliage, a sturdy trunk, and strong vertical habit
- 100% guaranteed: If your seedling perishes, we are happy to provide a replacement small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60)
- Seed-grown without poison or pesticides at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast
- Transplanting and care instructions included
- Trees can provide a natural barrier against high winds, temperatures, noise pollution and soil erosion, all while benefiting local air quality, wildlife and property values — a Jonsteen seedling will only grow in value and beauty!
About Port Orford Cedar
An important timber tree of Southern Oregon and Northern California, and immensely popular in Europe as a cultivated ornamental, Port Orford Cedars are named after a coastal Oregon town in the midst of the tree's native range. Port Orford Cedars can grow to heights in excess of 200 feet with trunks up to 16 feet in diameter, but generally stay closer to 100 feet tall at maturity — a mid-sized evergreen with gracefully flowing foliage, a sturdy trunk, and a strong vertical habit.
In Europe, Port Orford Cedars are more commonly known as "Lawson Cypress" (named after the Scottish botanist who first introduced them to science). Chamaecyparis lawsoniana is a beautiful, imposing tree with lacy, fragrant foliage (parsley scented), and a lifespan of more than 600 years. Wood from Port Orford Cedar is especially prized in the Orient, where it has long been considered the choicest wood for yacht-building.
Port Orford Cedar's small, plated cones are the size of peas. The species is easily propagated, which, in combination with the tree's pleasing attributes and valuable wood, may be why it has been so widely cultivated around the world. Today, there are thousands of "cultivars" of this species, most originating in Europe. As a native of the coastal Pacific Northwest below 5,000 feet, this tree grows best in mild and moderate climates, but has proven versatile and successful well outside its native range.
About Jonsteen's Seedlings
All of our trees are seed-grown — without poison or pesticides — at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast, which is inspected monthly and licensed by the California Department of Agriculture.
About Jonsteen's 100% Guarantee
All of our trees are guaranteed to arrive healthy and in good condition. If your tree perishes, we will replace it with a small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60). We encourage all customers experiencing difficulties growing their trees to contact us through our toll-free "Tree Help Line" (1-888-387-3379).