Shore Pine | Small Tree Seedling
- Grow your own Shore Pine (Pinus contorta var. contorta), a great tree for small gardens and container growing!
- 100% guaranteed: If your seedling perishes, we are happy to provide a replacement small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60)
- Seed-grown without poison or pesticides at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast
- Transplanting and care instructions included
- Trees can provide a natural barrier against high winds, temperatures, noise pollution and soil erosion, all while benefiting local air quality, wildlife and property values — a Jonsteen seedling will only grow in value and beauty!
About Shore Pine
Shore Pine (Pinus contorta var. contorta), as the name implies, is a coastal species native to the western United States — ranging from Alaska to Northern California — usually found growing in sandy soils or sand dunes. Trees in windswept coastal areas are often dwarfed and contorted by winds, while garden-grown specimens take on a more compact, pyramidal form with just hints of irregularity.
Though not at its best in hot, dry regions, Shore Pine is a fairly adaptable and cold-hardy species (down to 0°F), and is often successfully cultivated well away from the seaside. Densely foliaged and easily-trained in youth, Shore Pine is a great tree for small gardens, and is likewise a good candidate for container growing. Sometimes called “Beach Pine,” “Coastal Lodgepole Pine,” “Screw Pine,” “Prickly Pine,” or “Knotty Pine,” this tree features 1 to 3 inch-long needles bundled in twos, deep, rugged bark, and small, prickly light yellow-brown cones. Trees can grow to heights of 100 feet, but typically remain below 50 feet-tall.
About Jonsteen's Seedlings
All of our trees are seed-grown — without poison or pesticides — at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast, which is inspected monthly and licensed by the California Department of Agriculture.
About Jonsteen's 100% Guarantee
All of our trees are guaranteed to arrive healthy and in good condition. If your tree perishes, we will replace it with a small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60). We encourage all customers experiencing difficulties growing their trees to contact us through our toll-free "Tree Help Line" (1-888-387-3379).