Sitka Spruce | Mini-Grow Kit
- Grow your own Sitka Spruce, the largest species of spruce and the third-tallest tree species in the world!
- Includes absolutely everything you need to grow Picea sitchensis from seed: seeds, growing medium, a mini-greenhouse, and detailed instructions
- 100% guaranteed: If your seed fails to germinate or your seedling perishes, we are happy to provide free replacement seed
- Great for kids and adults, amateurs to experts!
- A universal symbol of life, regrowth and recovery, enduring friendships and new beginnings, a tree is a wonderful gift that will only grow in value, meaning, and beauty
About Sitka Spruce
The Sitka Spruce (Picea sitchensis) is a large evergreen tree growing up to between 50 and 70m tall — 96m tall in some cases — with a trunk diameter of up to 5m. It is by far the largest species of spruce, and the third-tallest tree species in the world (after Coast Redwood and Douglas Fir).
The bark is thin and scaly, flaking off in small circular plates 5 – 20cm across. The crown is broad-conic in young trees, becoming cylindric in older trees; old trees may have no branches in the lowest 30 – 40m. The shoots are pale buff-brown, almost white, and glabrous, but with prominent pulvini. The leaves are stiff, sharp and needle-like, 15 – 25mm long, flattened in cross-section, dark glaucous blue-green above with two or three thin lines of stomata, and blue-white below with two dense bands of stomata. The cones are pendulous, slender-cylindrical, 5 – 11cm long and 2cm broad when closed, opening to 3cm. They have thin, flexible scales 15 – 20mm long; the bracts just above the scales are the longest of any spruce, occasionally just exerted and visible on the closed cones. They are green or reddish, maturing pale brown 5 – 7 months after pollination. The seeds are black, 3mm long, with a slender, 7 – 9mm long pale brown wing.
About Jonsteen's Grow Kits
Growing a tree from seed is a magical and fascinating experience for people of all ages. Our 100% guaranteed Grow Kits provide everything you need to germinate some of the world's largest and most interesting tree species from seed — seeds, growing medium, a mini-greenhouse, and detailed instructions, which lead you through the whole process, from cold-stratifying your seeds to germination and transplanting.
About Jonsteen’s 100% Guarantee
If your seed fails to germinate or your seedling perishes, we are happy to provide free replacement seed. We encourage all customers experiencing difficulties growing their trees to contact us through our toll-free "Tree Help Line" (1-888-387-3379).