- Grow your own Red Alder (Alnus rubra), an integral species in wetland restoration planting!
- 100% guaranteed: If your seedling perishes, we are happy to provide a replacement small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60)
- Seed-grown without poison or pesticides at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast
- Transplanting and care instructions included
- Trees can provide a natural barrier against high winds, temperatures, noise pollution and soil erosion, all while benefiting local air quality, wildlife and property values — a Jonsteen seedling will only grow in value and beauty!
About Red AlderRed Alder (Alnus rubra), so named for the reddish-brown color of its inner bark, is a member of the Birch family and native to the western United States. Often associated with the mixed evergreen and redwood forests of the Pacific Northwest, its range extends from southeastern Alaska to San Luis Obispo County, California.
A shade-intolerant, medium-sized deciduous tree, Red Alder typically reaches heights between 80 and 100 feet, with widths ranging from 1 to 2 feet across at the base. In the first 20 years of its 100-year lifespan, 3 feet of growth per year is not uncommon. Leaves are elliptical, serrated, and slightly rolled under with sharp, pointed tips. Upper surfaces of the leaves appear dark green, while lower surfaces are paler green and feature rust-colored veins. The bark is thin and gray with grayish-white mottling, and is commonly colonized by white lichen and moss. Red Alder is a monoecious tree, meaning individuals bear both female flowers and male catkins — a cylindrical flower cluster.
Thanks to symbiotic bacteria that form nodules in Red Alder roots, these trees are a great boon to soil enrichment and fertility, fixing atmospheric nitrogen in a form that can be used by other plants. For this quality, as well as soil erosion control, Red Alder has become an integral species in wetland restoration planting.
Native American peoples valued Red Alder for its use as a medicine, fish net dye, and salmon-smoking wood.
About Jonsteen's Seedlings
All of our trees are seed-grown — without poison or pesticides — at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast, which is inspected monthly and licensed by the California Department of Agriculture.
About Jonsteen's 100% Guarantee
All of our trees are guaranteed to arrive healthy and in good condition. If your tree perishes, we will replace it with a small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60). We encourage all customers experiencing difficulties growing their trees to contact us through our toll-free "Tree Help Line" (1-888-387-3379).