- Grow your own Sweetbay Magnolia (Magnolia virginiana), popular for its manageable size, shimmering foliage, and fragrant white flower!
- 100% guaranteed: If your seedling perishes, we are happy to provide a replacement small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60)
- Seed-grown without poison or pesticides at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast
- Transplanting and care instructions included
- Trees can provide a natural barrier against high winds, temperatures, noise pollution and soil erosion, all while benefiting local air quality, wildlife and property values — a Jonsteen seedling will only grow in value and beauty!
About Sweetbay MagnoliaA popular ornamental tree on account of its shimmering foliage and fragrant white flowers, Sweetbay Magnolia is a small- to medium-sized tree found along the eastern seaboard from Massachusetts to southern Florida and west to southeastern Texas. In the northern parts of its range, Sweetbay Magnolia usually maxes out at about 20 feet-tall and drops most or all of its leaves in the colder months. In the south, it can grow to be a 60-foot-tall tree, retaining most of its foliage throughout the year.
The most distinctive feature of Sweetbay Magnolia is without question its blooms — showy, creamy white, lemon-rose scented flowers. These cup-shaped blooms can measure anywhere from 2 to 4 inches across, appearing from May to July. In autumn, flowers give way to attractive seed cones, which are cob-like in shape and dripping with deep red seeds — a feast for the birds. Leaves are a sparkling green above and a ghostly pale beneath, growing up to 8 inches long and 3 inches wide. When rustled by the wind, the two-tone quality of the leaves’ coloring can create a beautiful shimmering effect. Bark is thin, smooth, gray, and aromatic.
Sometimes called Swampbay, Sweetbay Magnolia typically grows in wet acidic soils near ponds, streams, rivers, and coastal swamps. Its soft wood and fleshy roots happen to be a favorite of beavers, giving rise to another of its common names: Beaver Tree. In colonial times, it was even used to bait beaver traps.
Sweetbay Magnolia is an excellent ornamental tree for small residential properties, and is especially lovely near water — as long as there aren’t too many beavers around!
About Jonsteen's Seedlings
All of our trees are seed-grown — without poison or pesticides — at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast, which is inspected monthly and licensed by the California Department of Agriculture.
About Jonsteen's 100% Guarantee
All of our trees are guaranteed to arrive healthy and in good condition. If your tree perishes, we will replace it with a small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60). We encourage all customers experiencing difficulties growing their trees to contact us through our toll-free "Tree Help Line" (1-888-387-3379).