- Grow your own Blue Oak (Quercus douglasii), the most drought tolerant of California's deciduous oaks!
- 100% guaranteed: If your seedling perishes, we are happy to provide a replacement small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60)
- Seed-grown without poison or pesticides at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast
- Transplanting and care instructions included
- Trees can provide a natural barrier against high winds, temperatures, noise pollution and soil erosion, all while benefiting local air quality, wildlife and property values — a Jonsteen seedling will only grow in value and beauty!
About Blue OakThe mystical Blue Oak is a medium-size, deciduous tree endemic to California, where it grows mainly in the foothills of the central part of the state. Blue Oaks feature a rounded, somewhat irregular crown, and can grow to heights of up to 70 feet tall, but usually max-out closer to 50 feet tall. The trunk is typically singular, and seldom more than 2 feet in diameter. The bark is thin and flaky. The canopy is compact, round, and supported by many crooked branches. Quercus douglasii takes its name from the blue-green color of its shallowly-lobed, thick and waxy leaves.
Blue Oaks grow in a Mediterranean-like climate, with hot, dry summers and cool, wet winters. In summer, midday temperatures in Blue Oak woodlands can exceed 100°F (38°C) for weeks at a time. The Blue Oak prefers drier sites and is extremely drought and heat tolerant — in fact, it is the most drought tolerant of all California's deciduous oaks. Generally, Blue Oaks live for several hundred years. The oldest known specimen, in Sequoia National Park, is about 400 years old. Historically, this species has been valued by Native Americans, who relied on Blue Oak for food, medicine, dyes, utensils, games, toys, basketry, and construction materials.
About Jonsteen's Seedlings
All of our trees are seed-grown — without poison or pesticides — at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast, which is inspected monthly and licensed by the California Department of Agriculture.
About Jonsteen's 100% Guarantee
All of our trees are guaranteed to arrive healthy and in good condition. If your tree perishes, we will replace it with a small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60). We encourage all customers experiencing difficulties growing their trees to contact us through our toll-free "Tree Help Line" (1-888-387-3379).