- Grow the official State Tree of Rhode Island from seed!
- Includes absolutely everything you need to grow a Red Maple (Acer rubrum) from seed: seeds, growing medium, a mini-greenhouse, and detailed instructions
- 100% guaranteed: If your seed fails to germinate or your seedling perishes, we are happy to provide free replacement seed
- Great for kids and adults, amateurs to experts!
- A universal symbol of life, regrowth and recovery, enduring friendships and new beginnings, a tree is a wonderful gift that will only grow in value, meaning, and beauty
About Red Maple
Sometimes called Scarlet Maple, Shoepeg Maple, or Swamp Maple, Acer rubrum — most commonly known as Red Maple — is an abundant, adaptable species, widely planted throughout North America and beyond. Red Maple grows in a vast natural range throughout the United States, Mexico, and north into both Western and Eastern Canada. It occupies a variety of diverse habitats, from bogs and bottomlands to cold mountain ridges, growing best in wetter areas. It is the State Tree of Rhode Island.
A moderately fast grower, Red Maple usually grows to between 60 and 100 feet tall at maturity, with large, spreading canopies and showy flowers. Red twigs, branchlets, and buds give the Red Maple its name, as does the brilliant scarlet color of the tree's foliage. The crimson leaves are especially florid in colder regions. The largest Red Maple on record is over 180 feet tall with a crown spread of 120 feet. Red Maple is often among the first trees to color-up in fall and one of the first to blossom in spring. This species makes a beautiful, seasonally-entertaining tree for a diverse array of locations. Acer rubrum is highly soil-tolerant, can grow in sun or shade, and is especially well-suited for use as a street, shade, or ornamental tree.
About Jonsteen's Grow Kits
Growing a tree from seed is a magical and fascinating experience for people of all ages. Our 100% guaranteed Grow Kits provide everything you need to germinate some of the world's largest and most interesting tree species from seed — seeds, growing medium, a mini-greenhouse, and detailed instructions, which lead you through the whole process, from cold-stratifying your seeds to germination and transplanting.
About Jonsteen's 100% Guarantee
If your seed fails to germinate or your seedling perishes, we are happy to provide free replacement seed. We encourage all customers experiencing difficulties growing their trees to contact us through our toll-free "Tree Help Line" (1-888-387-3379).