- Grow your own Serbian Spruce (Picea omorika), the most graceful of all spruces!
- 100% guaranteed: If your seedling perishes, we are happy to provide a replacement small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60)
- Seed-grown without poison or pesticides at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast
- Transplanting and care instructions included
- Trees can provide a natural barrier against high winds, temperatures, noise pollution and soil erosion, all while benefiting local air quality, wildlife and property values — a Jonsteen seedling will only grow in value and beauty!
About Serbian SpruceSerbian Spruce (Picea omorika) is endemic to a tiny area of the former Yugoslavia, where just 1,000 individual trees are all that remain of this species' native stand. (According to the fossil record, the species was more widespread throughout Europe prior to the Pleistocene Ice Age.) The 120-acre indigenous range is localized on the limestone slopes bordering the Drina River Valley and crosses between what is now Serbia and Bosnia.
Serbian Spruce, initially thought of as a rare novelty, first came to America in the late 1800's. By the turn of the century, this distinctively downswept, often very narrow, and always graceful tree was in wide use, considered among the very finest of ornamental evergreens — a vaunted status it retains to this day. Serbian Spruces feature a slender trunk and short, descending branches decorated with short, sharp needles that are glossy, dark green on top, silvery-blue underneath. This color scheme lends a wonderful two-tone effect to the foliage, and makes this tree especially entertaining when animated by the wind.
A moderate to slow-growing tree, Serbian Spruce typically achieves heights of 60 feet, but specimens have been noted at well over 160 feet tall. Serbian Spruces are not picky when it comes to soil types, are especially at home in limestone-based soils. They are also more tolerant of hot, humid climates and air pollution than most other Spruces. Serbian Spruce's narrow form and small footprint commend it to tight spaces, where it will happily reach toward the heavens for decades without crowding its neighbors.
About Jonsteen's Seedlings
All of our trees are seed-grown — without poison or pesticides — at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast, which is inspected monthly and licensed by the California Department of Agriculture.
About Jonsteen's 100% Guarantee
All of our trees are guaranteed to arrive healthy and in good condition. If your tree perishes, we will replace it with a small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60). We encourage all customers experiencing difficulties growing their trees to contact us through our toll-free "Tree Help Line" (1-888-387-3379).