- Grow your own Torrey Pine (Pinus torreyana), the rarest native pine in the United States!
- 100% guaranteed: If your seedling perishes, we are happy to provide a replacement small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60)
- Seed-grown without poison or pesticides at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast
- Transplanting and care instructions included
- Trees can provide a natural barrier against high winds, temperatures, noise pollution and soil erosion, all while benefiting local air quality, wildlife and property values — a Jonsteen seedling will only grow in value and beauty!
About Torrey Pine
Here’s the rarest native pine in the United States and an icon of the greater San Diego area! Torrey Pine grows only in a limited coastal range around La Jolla in San Diego County and on one of the Channel Islands off the Santa Barbara coast. Pinus torreyana is a five-needle pine of moderate size — to about 60-feet tall in the wild and up to over 100 feet tall in cultivation. The Torrey Pine's needles are quite long, up to 11 inches in length, and it features heavy cones that contain large, hard-shelled pine nuts which were once a staple food source for the indigenous peoples of Southern California.
While the native population of Torrey Pines was once estimated at as few as 100 individual trees, cultivation and conservation have helped bring the population up to around 3,000 trees. Torrey Pines are extremely drought tolerant and are accustomed to growing in poor, sandy soils, where they take advantage of an extensive root system which helps them both gather moisture and also to stay exceedingly wind-firm.
In the San Diego area, Torrey Pines are considered a local icon and many businesses, roads, parks, and a famous golf course prominently feature the tree's name. Here's your chance to plant a super rare pine tree that embodies the spirit of San Diego!
About Jonsteen's Seedlings
All of our trees are seed-grown — without poison or pesticides — at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast, which is inspected monthly and licensed by the California Department of Agriculture.
About Jonsteen's 100% Guarantee
All of our trees are guaranteed to arrive healthy and in good condition. If your tree perishes, we will replace it with a small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60). We encourage all customers experiencing difficulties growing their trees to contact us through our toll-free "Tree Help Line" (1-888-387-3379).