- Grow your own White Fir (Abies concolor), the most versatile of the True Firs!
- 100% guaranteed: If your seedling perishes, we are happy to provide a replacement small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60)
- Seed-grown without poison or pesticides at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast
- Transplanting and care instructions included
- Trees can provide a natural barrier against high winds, temperatures, noise pollution and soil erosion, all while benefiting local air quality, wildlife and property values — a Jonsteen seedling will only grow in value and beauty!
About White FirNative to the Western United States, Rocky Mountains, and Western Canada, White Fir (Abies concolor) is probably the best choice among the True Firs to grow in yards and gardens across America. Known also as Concolor Fir, this tree is tolerant of most climates and city conditions, and, while it does have its preferences (full sun, well-draining soils), it is far less fussy about soil types, moisture, heat, and sun exposure than most firs. Indeed, it is the most amenable to cultivation of all the fir species, and though hailing from the West, it is without a doubt the easiest fir to grow in the Eastern U.S. as well (there are significant populations of this species in both Maine and Massachusetts).
White Fir's Latin name "concolor" refers to the tree's uniform needle color — pale bluish-green on both sides, unlike most firs, which usually display the silvery stomata bloom only on their undersides. The needles of White Fir are also longer (up to 3 inches long) than the needles commonly observed on most firs. Closely related to Grand Fir, White Fir is typically under 100 feet tall, with uniform needles upwardly curved like a ribcage.
This highly symmetrical tree is a popular Christmas Tree species, with a marvelous citrus smell when the foliage is bruised. It is also a favorite of landscapers, who appreciate its ability to hold a dense, formal shape as it slowly grows into old age, stacking up orderly whorls of four or five branches in flat horizontal sprays.
About Jonsteen's Seedlings
All of our trees are seed-grown — without poison or pesticides — at our nursery on California's Redwood Coast, which is inspected monthly and licensed by the California Department of Agriculture.
About Jonsteen's 100% Guarantee
All of our trees are guaranteed to arrive healthy and in good condition. If your tree perishes, we will replace it with a small-sized seedling for just the cost of shipping/handling ($4.60). We encourage all customers experiencing difficulties growing their trees to contact us through our toll-free "Tree Help Line" (1-888-387-3379).